Yglesias makes three arguments: taller buildings with will increase tax revenue, improve livability, and reduce what he calls “job-sprawl.” In each case, he is partially correct, but also misses broader issues of urban land use and planning. Primarily, he misunderstands the qualities and causes of density, mistaking the unique and exceptional conditions that created metropolises like New York, Chicago, Tokyo, and Paris for natural growth.
I’m currently slowed by life-work-sickness issues, so accept this filler material until I finish the Fort Reno planning maps and some other writing.
At some point in the recent past, the Jester of Columbia, with whom I am associated, released its new issue, themed Solutions. Stay tuned for the April issue Recession. Bauhaus cooking is included in this issue, as is a parody of peakniks, and a host of letters and lists, some of which I contributed. Highlights include: The 99 problems Jay-Z does indeed have, Jonathan Franzen’s The Solutions, as well as the introductory Editaurus.
- Enasculin Ensaculin: Treats dementia by demolishing your ego!
- Lord Adonis: Not a 19th-century dandy, just of Greek heritage.
- Paedocommunion: Involves priests. Plus, “pedo” with a dipthong just sounds like molestation.
- Republican Marriage: Not the opposite of same-sex marriage. In fact, some would say that all marriages have a similar effect.
- Lesbian Wine: Not actually produced at Larry Flynt’s ancestral grange in Broussy-le-Petit, but rather on the island of Lesbos.
- Anal Language: “Not to be confused with the Anus Language”
- Boring Lava Field: But only compared to Mount Ranier.
Curio facts though these may be, it does make some interesting insights into the origins of IMDb on usenet.
You might also want to check out his film productions at Cocaine in Motion, particularly their Sand Moon movie (not really funny). They also have some amazing parables on Youtube. They feature the Methodist Cemetery and Fort Reno in a number of flicks.
I also highly recommend seeing the movie Der Untergang, from which the video is taken.